A successful school experience depends on regular school attendance. Every absence, whether excused or unexcused, interrupts the student's understanding of the material being presented and lessens the value of middle school education.
To ensure the safety of your child, it is imperative to report all absence on our 24-hour attendance line before 9:00 am, 317-873-2426, Press 2. If unable to leave a message, please email, firstname.lastname@example.org. Our attendance notification software system will contact parents via phone regarding unverified absences.
The Board of School Trustees, as an agency of the State, is required to enforce regular attendance of students. The Board recognizes that being present in the classroom enables the student to participate in instruction, class discussions, and other related activities. As such, regular attendance and classroom participation are integral to instilling incentives for the student to excel.
Attendance shall mean to be physically present in a school or at another location where the school's educational program is being conducted during regular school hours on a day in which the educational program in which the student is enrolled is being offered.
Attendance shall be required of all Corporation students, except those exempted under other provisions of State law, during the days and hours that the school is in session or during the attendance sessions to which he/she has been assigned.
Phone calls to classrooms are a disruption to the learning process. The following procedure is in place to minimize classroom interruptions. Parents should call the Attendance line with information concerning their child's appointment or their child(ren) should bring a signed parent note to the office the morning of the appointment before first period.
- The office will issue the appointment pass.
- The student shows the appointment pass to the teacher to be excused from the class at the appropriate time.
- The student will meet the parent in the office to be signed out by the parent.
- The student will sign back in at the front desk, indicating on their appointment pass the time of return.
- No student will be released to a person other than a custodial parent or guardian without permission of the custodial parent or other legal guardian.